Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Have been on methadone 6 yrs (chronic back pain). Currently…

Customer Question
Have been on methadone...

Have been on methadone 6 yrs (chronic back pain). Currently taking 30 mg. daily. I did well enough that Dr. gave me three month supply I move & had to scramble for continued treatment- methadone script lapsed & I used heroin in replacement until I could get methadone (2weeks).. Problem: I lied & said it was morphine I had taken (from former script, which was documented), in hopes they would do a full tox screen- wrong! So now I'm cut off cold & dr. refuses to do incremental reduction or prescribe suboxone, etc. Isn't there some ethical prohibition to just cut off cold? Even w/o pain mgt contract?

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

30 mg methadone- will run out saturday 6th

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Former junkie

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
1/3/2018
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Thanks for this question.

There is really no ethical issue because the withdrawal, while very uncomfortable, isn't life threatening

I'm sorry this is happening to you

I wish there was more I could do

Your doctor can give you clonidine and vistaril to help with withdrawal

they are not addictive meds and help with withdrawal

is this helpful?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No & according to numerous sources complications can be life threatening- you need to read up on it-
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
See methadoneclinic.com & give me my $5 back!

Do you need any other information?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Refund $ - inadequate answer
Family Physician, Doctor