Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have an infected lymph node I assume from my sinus been on…

Customer Question
I have an infected...

I have an infected lymph node I assume from my sinus been on antibiotics since Friday as well as ibuprofen for the swelling. I feel like I'm swallowing glass. It's not getting better should I wait or go to the er

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Are you having any breathing problems?

Started Friday night and no breathing problems but I'm having the worst night sweats and can't sleep much due to not being able to get warm and then when I do I wake up in a pool of sweat

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had it once before after a bad sinus infection but it was 2 years ago. I remember the pain but not that it lasted this long

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/3/2018
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask where is the lymph node located, in your neck or under your chin? Have you checked your temperature, do you have a fever? Lastly which antibiotic are you on and how many days has it been since you started them?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My neck temp only last Sunday and it was slightly elivated. Taking amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Started on Friday

Thanks for the additional information, let me just write down an answer for you and ill get back to you in a few mins. If you get a phone call request, that is an automated site response. I DID NOT send it. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The pain is moving up my neck into my jaw and ear just need to know if I should go to the er or wait a couple days and see if the antibiotic will help

Actually i would recommend going to the ER in the morning, the reason being that you have been on the antibiotic for more than 3 days now. Usually antibiotics start to work within 3-5 days and in your case the pain seems to be worsening rather than improving it is possible that it is a bacterial infection which is resistant to amoxicillin/clavunate. In that scenario a repeat xray of the sinuses along with a change of antibiotics to a more potent one such as moxifloxacin or levofloxacin or even azithromycin would be necessary.

So in short you should visit the ER or urgent care clinic to possibly get the antibiotics changed as it has been almost 5 days since the antibiotics were started.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor