Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had a flu virus approx 5 weeks ago that caused some

Customer Question
I had a flu...

I had a flu virus approx 5 weeks ago that caused some virtigo. It seemed to have gone away. 2 weeks ago my left cavum chonchae became inflammed and tender. There is a high pitched ringing, pain in my jaw and a waxy discharge every morning. I saw my physician and he said my ears looked clear ans thought it bacterial.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Touching it, laying on that side when I sleep. ts been 3 weeks and now I cannot hear out of that ear. Its still tender and swollen.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have never had an ear infection with a virus Ever.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
1/3/2018
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually, i would tend to agree with your doctor that this sounds like a bacterial infection. The presence of pain in the jaw as well as the ringing (tinnitus) does indicate that maybe you internal ear is involved as well and that can be missed on an examination. The presence of these symptoms do indicate that you have a bacterial infection and you will need antibiotics for this to improve. In some severe cases, you may also need in-ear steroid ear drops to bring the inflammation down.

Since your hearing is also affected you will also need to have this treated as soon as possible with antibiotics. If you have a picture of the ear I would be happy to take a look to confirm whether this can be a bacterial infection or not. In the meantime, you should start using OTC anti-inflammatory medications like ibuprofen at a dose of 400-600 mg thrice a day which will help in reducing the pain and swelling.

But antibiotics are ESSENTIAL here because if the cartilage is involved then surgery may be required.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/