Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Why take more magnesium if it behaves like an ant-acid? A…

Customer Question
why take more magnesium if...
why take more magnesium if it behaves like an ant-acid? A few doctors said to take more magnesium, yet they don't clarify exactly when to take it, and are not clarifying if it behaves like an anti-acid preventing stomach acid from breaking down food... Which is the right magnesium supplement to use? And which one won't disrupt digestion in an elderly person if taken too close to a meal or with a meal? Also, taking it before bed can cause reflux that that isn't good either, if it is to help with bowel regularity or speeding up the frequencey. Does it also work to speed up transit time so that food in the small intestines will move faster along the intestines because the magnesium is creating more muscle contractions or peristalsis? I need some tips on dosing that does not interfere with digestion in any negative way.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
1/3/2018
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

why are you taking it in the first place?

For helping with mood, behavior constipation

Ok. That makes sense

I would take magnesium oxide 200 mg per day

that should help

make sure you get one with a USP label.

That is like the FDA for supplements

they ensure quality

is this helpful?

No.. there is more magnesium that was ordered. Magnesium threanite for behavior, Magnesium glycinate, magnesium malate, magnesium citrate, magnesium spray.... All these different magnesiums. Oxide is going to be helpful for constipation only because it doesnt get digested correct so it draws water into the colon when it is taken at bedtime correct?
I am looking for how to make the intake of magnesium steady and organized and NOT too much to create loose stools. I am trying to understand why bowels become dry in the rectum despite the use of Milk of Magnesia every 3-4 days or so which is what the DO stated. He said to feel the abdomen and when it seems full, then to give the Milk of Mag that night. I will clarify with him tomorrow. But i want to understand more. Why is the stool so hard at the anus when i insert a suppository, and it does not produce a bowel movement? If i give magnesium every three hours or at some specific regular sceduled time, does that push the stool out whcih is ready to exit the body? A few times i thought for sure my parent was going to have a BM but nothing happened. We get plenty of fiber because all our food is high in fiber. Does the addition of vit C help to achieve some power at the lower intestines to push the stool out when it is there waiting? Or will there only be a bowel movement ONLY when 25 ft of intestines has been completely packed to the max?
Also; Doesn't the magnesium oxide behave like an anti acid? I asked this to an expert already perhaps you in a previous question but i think you may have said yes.... Milk of Mag is magnesium is 1200mg hydroxide at 60ml but i only give 30ml... which i am bumping up to 40ml recenlty because 30ml does and sometimes doesn't result in a bowel movement the following morning.
200 mg is kind of low isn;t it unless the magnesium oxide you are describing is different than Milk of Mag? I can not use capsules because of a choking hazard. What keeps the stool moving along the intestines on a regular basis without having it bunch up or stop at the lower colon in the rectum?
When there is a bowel movement of 15 inches, how soon is there another one ready at the rectum or anus? OR after that bowel movement, what should the remedy be to prevent dry stool or to get the next stool to remain soft and moving along?

can you list your other meds?

just one Liothyronine 5mcg

is the thyroid regulated?

The doctor said to watch the thyroid and does not want to bump it up yet for some reason being that there was something in the results that was sufficient and to keep it at the low dose for the moment, . But the nutritionist/biochemist said the labs should have been drawn fasting for the thyroid result to be true. So i need to double check my notes and with him. I will ask him that question to make sure.

I agree with that

the thyroid should be optimized as it can cause constipation if too low

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

I think the doctors are watching the thyroid med because my parent has an enlarged aorta.. Does that seem right? My appointment was cancled because of snow. But back to my original question regarding various types of magnesium. Why is Milk of Magnesia so effective, yet the side effects are that it behaves as an antacid which could very well be stopping the hydrocloric acid from breaking down my parents meal ,,,,, so it does not get digested because of the Milk of Magnesia behaving like an antacid... So isn't this crazy as a remedy? How and which way to take magnesium to keep the lower stool from becoming dry and keep it moving OUT when it arrives into the rectum area?

It simply acts as an osmotic laxative

it pulls fluid into the colon

Thanks for this question

I strive for 5 star service for all customers.

If you have any more questions, just reply :)