Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I live in the south and our weather has been cold and very…

Customer Question
I live in the...

I live in the south and our weather has been cold and very low humidity. Dry air=dry nose=nose bleeds. I put some moisture up the side of my right nostril (where the nose bleeds have been happening) and now I taste the slightest amount of blood int he back of my throat. Yuck! Is this normal?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Are you having any breathing problems?

No breathing problems. On and off...about a week. Small amounts of blood, nothing scary.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I don't think so. I used to have nosebleeds in the winter all the time as a kid, but I'm 45. It's rare, but not unheard of

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
1/3/2018
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 1 month ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry

yes, very dry weather can cause you nose to bleed

mosturizers like vasaline or aquafore can be used in the nose to help moisten the nasal mucosa

which can help

a little bit of blood in the back of the throat is ok.

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician