Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What are the types of contraceptives. None.. I'm sexually…

Customer Question
What are the types...

What are the types of contraceptives

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

None.. I'm sexually active and I mostly use condoms

Doctor's Assistant: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this? In general, how would you describe your overall health?

Yeah its my first time,, my health I'm okay

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
1/3/2018
Doctor: The Physician, Doctor replied 4 months ago
The Physician
Hello
Thanks for making it JA
I am Dr ObiContraception as you already know is the medical intervention done to stop you from getting pregnant
It can therefore be done by taking medicaltions called ORAL CONTRACEPTIVES
or it can be given as injections
Or it can be implanted into the skin
OR it can
Be implanted directly into the womb
They all disrupt your natural hormonal cycle, take it over and prevent the phase that lead t ovulation
Hence they all tend to prevent OVULATION
The oral ones are taken at regular intervals to mimic the natural hormonal cycle
While the injections are given as medicine immersed in some natural oil and injected at either monthly, bimonthly or even 3- monthly interval
And the medicine from the oil ‘sip out’ in measured amount from the depot in the muscle to effect the same thing
Prevent ovulation
The skin implants do the same, but the medicine is laced on
A special object and implanted under the skin and the medicine ‘sipa out’ again at measured amounts to prevent ovulation
Implants lasts up to 2-5 years
IUCD or intra uterine contraceptive devices work in two ways
By medicine sipping out and by physically also causing a hostile sterile inflammation that prevents both sperm transport and implantation
Ob gyn Physician usually would examine you, get your medical history and do your Pap smear before starting any of these contraceptives
They are ‘good servants’ but may be ‘bad masters’ if NOT used appropriately and if you are not examined before using them
There is an
Emergency contraceptives pill you can take IF YOU KNOW your ovulation time
It needs to be taken only when you are vulnerale
vilnerable
There are also two types of these meds
Some contains exactly the natural hormones Estrogen and progesterone
Others contain only progesterone
Research have shown little difference between them in terms of efficacy
It has also been found to be ‘different strokes for different folks’
That is why it is important to get an examination to determine which one is BEST for you
Thanks for making it JA
Please remember to click the accept button or rate my answer for the system to acknowledge my tesponse
The Physician
The Physician
The Physician, Doctor