Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

How does a sinus infection last?

Customer Question
How long does a sinus...
How long does a sinus infection last ?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/3/2018
Doctor: The Physician, Doctor replied 6 months ago
The Physician
Hello
Welcome to JAThe sinuses are air spaces in the frontal area of our skull, lined by mucus membrane similar to that in the nasopharynx / respiratory tract and interconnected to drain into the nasal cavity
They get inflamed and secrete mucus in the same way as the rest of the respiratory tract
It is hence easy to get irritated by allergies just like the respiratory tract AND most people may confuse this with sinus INFECTION which is ACTUAL INFECTION by a microbe eithe virus, bacteria or fungal spores
The commonest cause of classic infection is bacteria
Tends to cause fever, sinus tension, drainage and sometimes headaches
The course depends on the organism
ALSO
Another factor is that because it is ‘trapped’ inside the bone cavity it is not as ‘accessible’ to medications as other parts of the respiratory tract
It is withnthis understanding that the answer to your question is that it depends on the organism and the treatment it should clear in 2 weeks if adequately and effectively treated
Otherwise, if it is not well treated it may become chronic and lasts longAllergic types of sinusitis tend to be recurrent or persisting depend on the presence of allergens
Persons unknowingly allergic to pollen living in a home sprrounded by blooming trees may have ‘persistent or recurrent sinus irritations’ and may misunderstand it as sinusitisThanks for making it JA
Please click the accept button or rate my answer