Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

24 year old male, took a course of antibiotics about a month…

Customer Question
24 year old male...

24 year old male, took a course of antibiotics about a month ago, after the 10day course of antibiotics I had diarrhea, vomiting then constipation. Went to ER they took X-rays and test but didn’t think I had CDiff. My bowel movement are back to normal and no vomiting or diarrhea but I still get this mild bloating feeling in the middle of my abdomen, with mild cramping on the right side under my ribs the left side under my ribs and occasional my left side by my hip. I was wondering if this could just be my gut flora outta wack from the antibiotics? The symptoms I had when I first went to the ER were very mild that’s why the dr didn’t suspect CDiff.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Yes seen a Dr. was taking antibiotics for UTI, now I am just taking a probiotic

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No medical history, have been healthy.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
1/2/2018
Doctor: Dr. K., MD replied 1 month ago
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I looking forward to assisting you with your question and providing excellent service. It would be pretty rare for a young healthy person to get c dif from a 10 day course of antibiotics for a uti. This course of antibiotics doesnt ‘get your gut flora out of wack”. I would stop the probiotic and see if you feel better
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I started probiotics when I first finished the antibiotics, I finished one bottle of it and kinda felt better but then started another course after I started feeling bloated again. And it kinda seem to get worse when I eat certain foods. I haven’t narrowed it down to what exact foods cause it but sometimes I can eat something and feel fine and other times I’ll eat something and feel the symptoms again. Could the antibiotics cause IBS? I also have been diagnosed with GAD when I was 22. And I chronically freak myself out over health.
Doctor: Dr. K., MD replied 1 month ago
No the antibiotics dont cause ibs. Again i would stop the probiotics. They aren’t indicated
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, I will stop them, how long should it take to feel better?
Doctor: Dr. K., MD replied 1 month ago
There’s no way for me to know that . Remember this is an online q and a service. Its not a substitute for seeing a dr in person
Dr. K.
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD