Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Over My BP is 155 over 160 - - I'm dizzy - should I go to…

Customer Question
Over My BP is...

Over My BP is 155 over 160 - - I'm dizzy - should I go to ER

Doctor's Assistant: Is this consistent, or is there some fluctuation in blood pressure?

Fluctuation

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Lesions or ulcers, just had esophagus surgery 8 wks ago - - - they switched BP meds on me, and I've felt horrible, quit them about 5 days ago - awaiting Dr. appt the 8th

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
1/2/2018
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually, the simple answer to your question is YES you should go to the ER, especially if your BP is touching 160 and you are dizzy. the fact that you have left your BP medications means that this BP is not likely to go down on its own and instead can keep increasing until you are given medications in the ER. At the same time, they can run a few tests to determine if the high BP has affected your heart or your brain like an EKG or even a CT scan of the brain, if it is deemed necessary after a clinical examination.

But in short, YES you SHOULD go to the ER as this BP is unlikely to go down on its own (it may go down for a short period of time but then it will rise again, which is what i believe is happening in your case) without any treatment.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/