Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am a 68 year old female in excellent health and fitness…

Customer Question
I am a 68...

I am a 68 year old white female in excellent health and fitness but I have a serious pain from my left hip shooting down my leg. It appears to be in the sacroiliac area and often is painful to walk. What should I do to get well?

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Any redness or swelling in the leg?

No redness or swelling. Sitting in a comfortable chair helps. Tryin to walk it off helps too but it hurts to get there.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Left knee is serious affected by osteoarthritis with little cartilage left. Right knee is similar but not as far gone. I am a 4 year breast cancer survivor.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
1/2/2018
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

Given the history of OA of knees, there is likely possibility that this pain is coming from hip joint secondary to osteoarthritis.

Another possibility could be of a pinched nerve in the spine, which can give a radiating pain towards hip and down.

I think an MRI of the spine/hip is well warranted here to exactly ascertain the underlying cause, which will direct a specific management plan.

Right now, rest, Tylenol or Motrin for pain control will be helpful.

Avoid weight bearing and sternous physical activity.

And have this evaluated soon.

Was it helpful?

Is "sternous" activity the same as strenuous" activity? How do we spell it?

"strenuous" --- correct word.

*Typing error

Was it helpful?

Do you have any further question or clarification? let me know.

Please do not forget to give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.