Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My husband was taking methadone 30 mg a day and stopped

Customer Question
My husband was taking...

My husband was taking methadone 30 mg a day and stopped taking them. For the first three days he felt great since he first had knocked it down to 20 mg a day. He was feeling good and stopped taking it. 3 days later, he couldn't sleep and had restless leg syndrome. He just took a 1/2 of a 10 mg methadone tablet to see if it would help. Can you tell him what his options are to get off this medication?

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

No, he started taking methadone to get off opiods for a bad back. Then he had a procedure which helped and asked to get off the opiods. They gave him methadone. He is 71 years old. We didn't know it was an opioid also. Can you help give advice on how to get off them?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, he had a bilateral lumbar facet and that stopped his bulging disc from hurting so he wanted off the pain pills.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
1/2/2018
Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

Is he having any hallucinations or nausea or abdomen cramping after coming off of it now?

There are some over the counter options available to help with the withdrawal. I'm happy to recommend over the counter options if he is willing to try something non-prescription.