Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am just concerned about a high resting heart rate. I've…

Customer Question
Hi! I am just...

Hi! I am just concerned about a high resting heart rate. I've been feeling like I've had a racing heart rate since yesterday, and sitting at the computer this morning, my heart rate is at 132. I'm 23 years old and I like to stay active. I'm not feeling especially ill, just having the high heart rate and a bit of dizziness upon standing

Doctor's Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

I don't know of any family history of heart disease. I've been relatively healthy lately. Just a slight cold and cough recently, but my body doesn't usually react like this when I have a cold

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I've never had any major medical concerns. No allergies either. Diabetes and cancer run in my family, but that's about it

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
1/2/2018
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually, a resting heart rate which is around 132 is certainly high for someone of your age. There are many reasons as to why this could be the cause here, the commonest one in your age group is that you could have underlying stress or anxiety which is causing this problem. Many a time you may not be aware of the stress of anxiety and it can manifest itself in the form of physical symptoms like high heart rates etc. Now apart from stress etc, this can also be due to dehydration or even an electrolyte imbalance. This is another common cause for high heart rates in young individuals. Usually drinking more water and electrolyte-rich fluids like Gatorade would be helpful. Also cutting back o caffeine and alcohol can also be very useful in this situation, if you smoke that should be cut back as well as that can also be a cause for high heart rates.

Now, apart from these common causes, it is also possible that you could be experiencing a condition which is known as a heart arrhythmia. This is a condition in which the heart beats rapidly and irregularly which can give rise to symptoms like dizziness, sweating, chest pain, shortness of breath as well as loss of consciousness in many cases. Now, this is an easily treatable condition and can be diagnosed with the help of simple EKG.

So I would suggest that you DO get an EKG done and if that comes back as normal then a 24-hour Holter monitor should be done which would monitor your heart for a whole 24 hours. This would conclusively rule out arrhythmias as a potential cause.

But for now, i would suggest that you start using more fluids and electrolyte-rich fluids. If that does not help then you should get the EKg done.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

I'm feeling better now, but if the racing heart comes back, how long should I wait before going into the doctor? In other words, how long should I test out drinking water or gatorade before thinking it may be more than that?
If the heart rate is accompanied by shortness of breath, dizziness lightheadedness, sweating or chest pain then go in immediately or if the heart rate is above 150 even then go in immediately but otherwise you can wait for an hour at the most before you go in to the er.
Do remember to leave a positive rating as that is how we are compensated for helping you today