Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have been having issues (mainly pain in coccyx bone area…

Customer Question
Hi I have been having...
Hi I have been having issues (mainly pain in coccyx bone area but according to response here probably not with bowls) and been in contact with another DR here but not online at the moment. I am keeping an eye on my stools. Still the same... bad to start and good at finish. Today I still have the small balls at beginning and noticed some mucus. I have attached some photos (sorry) of the beginning and end of bowel movement. Still just hydration needed? Anything to be concerned about? (I don't see any blood or anything)
Here are the files to view
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
1/2/2018
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

I don't see anything wrong with the stools in terms of color or form.

But they appear hard in consistency which means you need better hydration and more fibres in the diet.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no problem with the mucus in the stool around the hard bits at the beginning of the stool? I seem to be having hard small lumps/balls (joined together at the start of the stool) and this is where the mucus is.

No problems with that.

Some degree of mucus is normal with stools, its a natural lubricating mechanism.

Was it helpful?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi, I had this test done here yesterday with the stool I showed you picture of. Can you advise please on the attached? We are in Africa so the medical system is a challenge but was able to get a stool test. I see there is blood. Please give your suggestions.

This doesn't show any gross blood in the stools, but microscopically there are few red blood cells. This can be due to many reasons like hemorrhoid or fissure or any ulcer.

I would suggest an evaluation by a colorectal doctor for further evaluation.

Rectal Exam, and if needed Colonoscopy can be planned but doesn't look a very urgent issue.

Can be planned as outpatient in few weeks time.

Also there are cysts of entamoeba seen in your stool, you need a confirmatory blood test (ELISA) to determine if this parasite cysts need treatment or not.

I hope you will not forget to give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could the cysts of entamoeba be causing the microscopically the few red blood cells noted?

No. Its an incidental finding. They are not the reason.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would it be worth Getting another stool test?

Ideally, the stool test has to be repeated; we do recommend 2 or 3 stool samples to look for blood, parasites etc before making further plan of management.

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor