Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Are you a nurse? Are you a nurse? My 18 year old son

Customer Question
Are you a nurse? ...

Are you a nurse?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Are you a nurse?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My 18 year old son suddenly came down with vomiting and lower back pain with tenderness on the right side. He also has developed watery diarrhea and said the back pain is so bad he wants to go to the hospital. Close to the pain of breaking a bone. He started vomiting about four hours ago. Vomiting first, then the pain. Little to no nausea, just vomiting. He is also extremely thirsty, begging for water but when he drinks it he vomits. I haven't seen him vomit this much since he was about four years. old

Doctor's Assistant: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Pain is in his spine

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
1/2/2018
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 3 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

Actually, you were first communicating with an automated system to get some initial information.

Do you think that he will be able to keep down any medicines for the back pain?

I had asked for some additional information and have not heard back.

If he is unable to keep down any medicines for the back pain, then it would be difficult to try to manage this at home.

If she can tolerate small amounts of fluids to try to keep medicines down, then he can try some acetaminophen for the pain and some meclizine or some diphenhydramine to try to help with the nausea and vomiting. Ibuporofen or naproxen might work better for the back pain, but are more likely to irritate the stomach, so may be more difficult in someone that already is vomiting.

If the nausea, vomiting, and pain cannot be eased with these interventions, then he should be seen, not only for control of symptoms, but because symptoms that are more severe and persistent would be worrisome for more serious conditions, such as kidney infections or appendicitis. Appendicitis will usually cause abdominal pain, but it is possible to primarily cause back pain when the appendix in in certain locations.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor