Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I stood on a decorative pin out in public and it punctured…

Customer Question
I stood on a decorative...
I stood on a decorative pin out in public and it punctured my thong (flip flop). I didn't feel it stab my foot. I took it out of my flip flop and threw it away quickly when i saw it.
Because I suffer from OCD I am now worried there may have been blood on the pin. There is no blood on my foot. Please advise my chances of Hiv if the pin did puncture the skin but no blood drawn. Does this warrant testing or is this my Anxiety?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
1/2/2018
Doctor: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 3 months ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

I understand your concerns.
However, a decorative pin without any blood in it ( which is most likely case) is not a risk for HIV transmission with just skin puncture but no blood drawn.
Please do not worry about HIV.
Testing is not required in this case.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.

Even if there were blood on the pin (unlikely I know) would I be at risk with no blood drawn?

Still your risk is considered practically nil since there is no blood drawn from your skin puncture.

Testing still not needed.
Best wishes

Dr Basu
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist