Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My feet and calves are turning black. They do not hurt. Can…

Customer Question
My feet and calves...

My feet and calves are turning black. They do not hurt. Can this be reversed?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

There is no pain. Just discoloration which started a couple of years ago.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I was diagnosed with slight Aphib. That's about it.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
1/1/2018
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 1 month ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry you are having this black change on your feet and calves

this could be due to poor circulation

how old are you?

are you able to elevate up your legs up above your heart at night time in a recliner?

medications like trental could help red blood cells travel through smaller blood vessels.

are you able to do any exercise? walking?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am in my eighties but in good health. I am in pretty good condition and walk as much as I am able but perhaps could walk more. I do hve a bed that is adjustable and keep my feet raised at night. Would this medication (Trental) reverse this condition or just prevent it from spreading? It is really unsightly and would love to have somthing to reverse.

trental can help improve circulation.

you still have to walk and exercise as much as you can.

you could be having some leakage of blood out of blood vessels in your ankles causing bruising

you may want to try icing your ankles with an ice pack or cool pack at night time when you elevate up your legs.

the bruises may take some time to resolve

are you taking a blood thinner?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think it would be best to speak to someone who has treated this condition. Is it possible to speak to a doctor in that capacity?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am taking a low dose aspirrin every night.

I do treat this condition.

as we get older, we can have leaky capillaries in our extremeties

this can cause bruising and black changes in the feet and ankle area.

yes, a low dose baby aspirin is a blood thinner which is enough to cause bruising in your extremities.

did you want to talk by phone?

the payment for the additional phone consult service fees didn't go through.

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician