Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Was put on Eliquis 5 or 6 weeks ago, about after a week

Customer Question
Was put on Eliquis...

Was put on Eliquis 5 or 6 weeks ago, about after a week after taking 2 a day, I started having Palpitations. Dr put me on it because I have become Diabetic and I'm taking Metformin. I have a history of Vagal Mediated Atrial Fib for which I take Norpace CR. I only get bouts of the AFib maybe once or twice a year. I was just taking Baby Aspirin everyday, but Cardiologist put me on Eliquis when he found out that I am now Diabetic. Palpatations are everyday and almost all day. Can Eliquis be causing them or the combination of Eliquis and Metformin????

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Palpitations constantly

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
1/1/2018
Doctor: KarayanMD, Board Certified Physician replied 6 months ago
KarayanMD
KarayanMD, Board Certified Physician

Hi. Thanks for your question. I am a board certified physician in the US.

Eliquis is not a medication that typically should produce palpitations. This is not on the list of common possible reactions with this medication. Of course, atrial fibrillation is a condition that can sometimes result in a person feeling palpitations, especially if the heartbeat is too rapid. It would be worth knowing how fast your heart beat is, which can be done by feeling your pulse and counting the number of beats in 60 seconds, or using a blood pressure machine that also measures the heart rate. If the pulse is over 100, this would be important to have treated on a prompt basis, as this can increase the risk of blood clots forming in the heart in a person with afib. There should be no major drug interactions between the Eliquis and the Metformin, to answer another of your questions. If the palpitations are troublesome to you, even if the heart rate is normal, this is also something you should discuss with your doctor when you have a chance, to determine the cause of this feeling, and also to determine if a change in medication is needed, although again it would be unusual for Eliquis to cause palpitations.

Best of luck. Hopefully this is helpful information to you. If this has been helpful, please rate me highly. Bonuses are appreciated. Have a Happy New Year!