Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I cant get my wine to work for me. And it's becauseof the…

Customer Question
I cant get my wine...
I cant get my wine to work for me. And it's becauseof the lithium/zyprexa/prolixin combo. How do i fix this
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
1/1/2018
Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD
What do you mean by the wine isn’t working? It’s not taking effect?
It must be the combination of the Zyprexa and the lithium. You can change the dosage of those medications but I think that would affect you negatively. Do you find that when you drink wine on an empty stomach it’s more effective then when you drink it with food?
Often times when you switch to drinking wine on an empty stomach it usually is more effective. And it’s always better to have at least two hours from the last time you took your medications.
certain winds will be less effective than other wines. I would recommend trying different wines as well which is often successful.
What part of the brain is causing me to not feel the effects? Can my dopamine get damaged?
No the dopamine with be affected permanently. It’s the fact that other responses such as alcohol are crossing the blood brain barrier much slower because those other medications are preventing the impulses from crossing as fast.
My negative thoughts are still there. What is the absolute best antidepressant for me?
I don’t think there will be an absolute best medication to choose, it would really depend on trying different ones to see what would work best for you especially because you are on the other medications. Which antidepressant do you feel worked the best and which one the least?
I was on zyprexa for about a weak a week ago, gained about 300pounds, had mild akathsia, and felt like all I was able to do was eat. I have not been on lithium for over a year and i believe that it what caused the fear and no joy to stay with me. I want Adderall
Adderall isn’t a bad one to try. I agree that it can take up to a year for lithium to resolve its side effects. And though yours has lasted over a year it shouldn’t be permanent.
I was most comfortable with zoloft. Effexor maybe. Paxil maybe. Wellbrutin maybe. What else is there Prozac? I WONDER WHY LITHIUM CAUSED FEAR, I don't know about lithium.
You could possibly consider restarting Zoloft, sometimes after taking it for a while and then stopping it and then restarting it, you might benefit from that.
You could consider taking Zoloft along with Adderall.
How do I get my wine to cross the blood brain real fast?

I would recommend taking it on an empty stomach.

Also at least 2 hours after you have taken your medications.

I would recommend changing the wine as well - each type of wine will have a different effect on a person.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Otherwise please click the rating button when you have a moment.

I hope I provided you with a 5-star service.

-Dr. Mo