Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been told I may need a tracheotomy due to scarring in…

Customer Question
I have been told...

I have been told I may need a tracheotomy due to scarring in my throat due to radiation for cancer in 2005: Do I have any other options?

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

No

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Liver. Transplant in 2009. Went to hospital because I couldn’t breath well 2weeks ago.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/1/2018
Doctor: Dr. Pravin, Physician replied 7 months ago
Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Physician

Hello

Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.

My name is***** and being a Medicine specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.

Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .

Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:

Do you also have swallowing difficulties ?

Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

occasionally. I need to be careful of what I eat. I cannot eat chicken unless it in small pieces and in a successful, but I can eat pasta and pizza ok.
I am eating lasagna with ground beef now.
No one has answered my question as to whether there are options to my situation.

Do you get a lot of heavy secretions daily which make you cough out a lot of phlegm ?

I have been on anti-biopics for about two weeks that my pulmonologist prescribed. It has helped to break it up.

Are you still getting the secretions ?

How long has the doctor asked you to continue with the antibiotics ?

I filled a prescription on the 27 th of dec.but didn’t start taking them because I was afraid of overusing them. I have heard the it can be bad to take them for too long a time, although I’m not sure how long that is.

The problem in your case is that: the scarring in your throat will cause sluggish outflow of phlegm and hence will keep accumulating .

The only way to avoid these from regular accumulation is physiotherapy of the chest done regularly as this would help in clearing the secretions regularly .

The antibiotics could help in reducing the secretions but long term is not good for your body.

The other safer option to regulate the secretions would be to take NAC supplements ( N-acetyl Cysteine) which can also reduce the secretions.

Please do let me know if you have any further queries.