Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I took a stray cat in for a few days. Weather going to -0…

Customer Question
I took a stray...

I took a stray cat in for a few days. Weather going to -0 for next few days .Locked in bedroom keep him away (3) other. Very Friendly.Long story short. He jumped me bit an sunk all nails in an sunk teeth as deep as he could get them. He rolled his head an I had to pull him off .He must be a farral cat. The upper tooth sank in so far. I put proxide & rud ach an that's it.

Doctor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the stray cat?

Nothing looks great.

Doctor's Assistant: Where does the stray cat seem to hurt?

It doesn't

Doctor's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

No

Doctor's Assistant: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is the stray cat eating normally?

Don't know I fed him good.

Doctor's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

A stray still hasn't been fixed.

Doctor's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the stray cat?

It looks like a nice cat.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
1/1/2018
Doctor: Dr. Ravoof, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

Cat bites and scratches even if they appear to be mild can get infected. Almost 20%-80% of cat bites and scratches become infected. Tetanus and rabies infection is also possible though very very rare. So, you should get a tetanus booster dose if you have not been vaccinated in the past 5 years. Also, the cat should be monitored for 10 days and if it gets sick in the next 10 days then rabies possibility and prevention should also be considered. However, the risk of rabies is also very low. But since it is a stray cat this possibility needs to be considered. You should go to an urgent care clinic to know whether an antibiotic should be started based on the depth of wounds and signs of infection. Overall, I don't think that you will suffer from any complications due to this and the wounds will heal gradually. However, taking these precautions are recommended.

Take care.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger on a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.
Thank you!

Dear customer,
Were you able to read my answer?
Did I answer your question? Please reply.
Thank you!