Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My husband is 61, in good health generally, overweight but…

Customer Question
My husband is 61...

My husband is 61, in good health generally, overweight but otherwise fine. About 3 weeks ago he had several episodes of vertigo throughout the day. We went to urgent care, they sent us to emergency. His BP was very high, but everything else was fine (EKG, CAT scan, etc) He was diagnosed with a sinus infection and treated with antibiotics. He improved, no more vertigo. Today he woke at 5 AM with vertigo and has been having e

Doctor's Assistant: When was last time you had a check up? Is there a history of high blood pressure in your family?

Episodes all day. The latest has lasted almost 3 hours. So severe he can’t even sit up.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He has NEVER had high BP

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
1/1/2018
Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

Is the vertical worse when he moves his head up-and-down?

No. He says it feels like the room is spinning. The only thing that helps is lying down with his eyes closed

It's quite possible that the vertigo is set for something other than the high blood pressure. Because it's common for patients with vertigo to have high blood pressure.

I suspect that it's the vertigo that's causing the high blood pressure and not the high blood pressure causing the vertigo. The fact that he can lay down and closes eyes and make the vertical disappear is a good sign. Does he have access to any meclizine that he could take? That's a safe medication to take to help alleviate vertigo.

he has meclizine and has taken it today as prescribed, but it hasn’t helped. So it could just be that his sinus infection is still causing this?

I suspect that it is due to his sinuses which are causing increased pressure into the eustachian tube and then up into the ear canal where vertigo is created.If he's taken meclizine please remind him that he can take 25 mg up to four times a day quite safely. There are also vertigo exercises which he can look up online but I would wait to do those when his symptoms are milder.

I hope I provided you with a 5-star service.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Otherwise please click the rating button when you have a moment.

-Dr. Mo