Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My liver enzymes are high. My BUN is low. MPV is Low.

Customer Question
Ultrasound of liver showediffusely Increased...
My liver enzymes are high. My BUN is low. MPV is Low. Ultrasound of liver showediffusely Increased Echogenicity. Under impression it shows diffusely increased hepatic Echogenicity may indicate Steatosis versus hepatocellular disease. Measures 14.9 cm. My dr recommend a liver biopsy with a specialist. I am waiting for my referral. Does this just sound like fatty liver or possibly something more ? I am 27. No current medical problems besides factor v Leiden. Thank you !
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
1/1/2018
Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 4 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

Could you tell me what your liver enzymes are?

Also, are you obese or do you consume a lot of antiinflammatory medications or alcohol?

If you have a copy of the ultrasound report that would be helpful.

Here is the ultrasound report

Thank you for the report - could you also tell me what your liver enzymes are?

I’ll grab them

I'm less concerned with your MPV since that doesn't indicate much in medicine unless you are already severely anemic.

Alanine aminotransferase is 60 ast 46 BUN 5 TP 8.6 MPV is 7.1I am not anemic and my values have been increasing over the past month. When I had them drawn 6 months ago to try and find out why I am so fatigued all lab values are normal. I am not obese either. Female.
Thank you
No medicines and only about 2/3 drinks a month. I do take 81mg aspirin 1x per night for my clotting disorder.

Thank you for the all the information you provided. It's unnecessary for you to have a biopsy done. You should see a hepatologist who will likely order some autoimmune blood panels to see if something is causing your elevated LFT's. The most common reasons are diet, the aspirin that you take, birth control pills (in case you're on them or were on them), supplements, or autoimmune causes.

Your liver function tests (LFT's) are ever so slightly elevated which is why I wouldn't be terribly worried about them and I believe that once you see a hepatologist they should be able to figure out as to what the exact cause is without needing to do anything invasive.

Okay thank you. I am waiting for a visit with the hepatologist. Never have been on birth control pills due to my clotting disorder. Per the ultrasound report does it seem to lead more towards fatty liver disease ? My father passed due to pri***** *****ver cancer so naturally this had me concerned. I’m a paramedic and have a pretty good diet and am active so not used to having medical concerns. Thank you for your time

Almost always these things are due to fatty liver. And you don't have to be obese to have fatty liver. I'm still wondering if that aspirin could be the cause. Did your father drink excess alcohol or take any medications that could have led to liver disease?

He was an alcoholic yes. He also had pancreatic and esophageal cancers. Started in the liver. My hematologist seems to think the such low dose shouldn’t bother my liver. All though all things are possible.

I am fairly confident that the liver enzymes levels that you have aren't dangerous and your hepatologist will confirm this.

Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD