Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had a dull coming and going ache in my right upper…

Customer Question
Good evening. I have...

Good evening. I have had a dull coming and going ache in my right upper abdomen that has not been more than a 2 on the pain scale. However today I have left side back pain and just had an episode of sharp pain in my left abdomen almost a 6 while breathing. Just wondering if I need to get checked out or what's going on

Doctor's Assistant: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

I recently came from Wisconsin and definitely have/had a cold. Certain movements make the back and right abdomen pain worse. The left side pain is now gone.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I chew tobbaco and drink alcohol

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
12/31/2017
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 3 months ago

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

Any fever or change in your bowel movements?

Does it hurt to cough or to stamp your feet on the floor?

No fever that I'm aware of but I don't have a themometer. Doesn't hurt to cough or stamp my feet
Bending over is the main cause of pain especially for my back. Right abdomen pain is dull and comes and goes.

Well it's a little difficult here since the pain is not just in one particular location

With left back and left abdominal pain my first thought would be a kidney stone

Another possibility would be a viral gastroenteritis that would run it's course in a few days

It doesn't sound like a case of diverticulitis from what you've told me

None of this is what I'd considered an emergency but if it continues beyond tomorrow you should see a doctor to get it evaluated

Please let me know if you need any more information

The left side stuff all started today. The coming and going dull pain in my upper right abdomen has been there for 3 days.

Well as I said it isn't easy to put it all in just one package

The upper right abdominal pain could be a gall bladder problem

If I were your doctor I would check all this out with blood work, a urinalysis and a ct scan of the abdomen with contrast

Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor