Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was also wondering that if I take Prenatal Vitamins but i…

Customer Question
I was also wondering that...
I was also wondering that if I take Prenatal Vitamins but i am not pregnant yet, is it ok? I have been taking for a month or two already. My doc said i should take it if trying to get pregnant. I see that it contains 27 mg of iron, not sure if that is safe?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
12/31/2017
Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Prenatal vitamins are safe and it is considered better to take it when you start trying to cover up any vitamin defeciency if already exist so that it does not affect the fetus so they are safe nothing much to worry about.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

although I am not pregnant yet. I can still take Prenatal vitamins?
I just got off of Birth control pills for 3 months and my doc suggest me to take vitamins as there are some minerals deplete when ok BCP.

Yes, that is correct, you can take prentals even if you are not pregnant and i agree with your doctor.

Thank you. And for how long I can take Prenatal Vitamins every day? Or should I switch to a regular women multivitamins. I just ordered Nutrilite Women’s pack vitamin. These are the ingredients
How much is high dose for iron? I took some before when trying to donate blood, and it is 65 mg per equivalent to p325 mg ferros sulfate per pill, was that too much?

You can take prenatal vitamins for 3 months and throughout pregnancy if you get pregnant. That dose is fine for iron.

But then if I do not get pregnant and then not tring anymore, i should switch back to regular vitamins, may be?

Yes, that is correct.

Hope this helps.

Please do leave a 5 star rating for the service.

Best wishes and a very happy new year.