Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What is the treatment for tendonitis? I plan to call on

Customer Question
What is the treatment...

What is the treatment for tendonitis?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No, I plan to call on Tuesday. Only an occasional Tylenol.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

NKA. Dig., verapamil, Levoyhyroxin, Zocor,metphmoran, lisinopril,

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Ramsey-Hunt syndrome in 2012.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
12/31/2017
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

There are several options for management of tendinitis at home. The Tylenol is fine for relief of pain, but it does not have any direct anti-inflammatory action. There are over the counter anti-inflammatory medicines, such as naproxen, that will directly ease the inflammation of tendinitis. Anti-inflammatory medicines can cause side effects, and it is reasonable to limit the use of anti-inflammatory medicines, if possible. But a short course of anti-inflammatory medicines to ease an inflammatory condition, such as tendinitis, is generally well tolerated.

Local care also can help with tendinitis. Ice can help to relieve swelling, particularly if the tendinitis is associated with an injury. Ice also has a numbing effect, so can ease pain. Moist heat also can help because it has an anti-inflammatory effect, and moist heat penetrates deeper than dry heat.

Depending upon which tendon is affected, support by wrapping with an ACE wrap can also help.

If the tendinitis is causing more severe symptoms, then there also needs to be consideration of whether to stop the Zocor. One of the possible side effects of Zocor (and all statins) is causing problems with tendons. It can vary from mild aching, which is not that serious, to more severe inflammation and rarely even a rupture of the tendon. Although tendon rupture is rare, when it does happen, it is a significant problem, and it also tends to affect significant tendons, scuh as the Achilles tendon at the heel. If your symptoms are more severe, it would be reasonable to not take any more Zocor until you can contact your doctor on Tuesday.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know. Once we are done, please provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.