Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have high blood pressure and I take cholesterol lowering…

Customer Question
Hello I have high...

Hello I have high blood pressure and I take cholesterol lowering meds,I have sinus issues also . Now I've been experiencing pressure in the forehead and top of my head are. I went to my doctor the other day and my blood pressure was a little above normal . Basically all she said was if I need to increase my medication just give her a call back . What should I do ?

Doctor's Assistant: When was last time you had a check up? Is there a history of high blood pressure in your family?

Yes there is a history in my family . I haven't had a total physical in four or five years.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No I can't think of anything .

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/31/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 7 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Following measures would help you till your doctor decide any addition of medication for high blood pressure;

a) Patients with the hypertension do need to restrict table salt which is considered as a prime regulator of the blood pressure. It is advised to reduce sodium intake to no more than 2.4 g sodium or 6 g sodium chloride per day. It is also advised that adequate intake of dietary potassium (approximately 90 mmol/d), helps in reducing the blood pressure.

b) Following dietary and nutrition measure are strongly recommended to bring down the blood pressure;

A diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and low-fat dairy products may lower blood pressure by 10-16 mm Hg.
Oral potassium supplement may lower both systolic and diastolic pressure. Calcium and magnesium supplements, too, decrease the in blood pressure.
Low alcohol consumption lowers the blood pressure.
Stop smoking, if you do and reducing intake of dietary saturated fat and cholesterol benefits tremendously in overall cardiovascular health.
Following reduce and regulate the blood pressure:

1) Garlic

2) Fish oil

3) Herb Hawthorn

4) Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10).

Thus dietary and other helpful measures for high blood pressure are;

1) weight loss,

2) sodium reduction,

3) stress management,

4) nutritional supplement interventions of calcium, magnesium, potassium and fish oil.

5) light physical exercise like walking.

6) yoga

7) meditation

8) breathing exercises

9) relaxation exercises

10) stop if you; smoke, drink only in moderation

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Thanks for the recommendations, I already do about 90% of the list. I will try the other 10%. I think I wanna take a total physical what should I have checked?

You are very welcome.

In the total physical they would check following;

1) Kidney function tests

2) Thyroid function tests

3) Adrenal function tests

4) Complete blood counts

5) Comprehensive metabolic panel

6) Ultrasound of abdomen

7) Chest x-ray

8) Echocardiography.

It is privilege assisting you. Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating. The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl Happy new year 2018.

Just Answer is based on honor system. Experts are paid for time and expertise only when a positive rating is received.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/

Stay blessed.

Happy new year 2018.