Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

3 of us have been throwing up and bad diarrhea since 11. Is…

Customer Question
Hi 3 of us...

Hi 3 of us have been throwing up and bad diarrhea since 11. Is there anything we can do?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No the other son went Thursday and they only gave him anti nausea meds

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Allergic to lexapro

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Take nexium and levoxl , no other issues

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
12/31/2017
Doctor: Dr. Amir, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir, Doctor

Thanks for the question and coming here. I would like to say that I am concern about severe dehydration as you all are having bad diarrhea and throwing up too. It can be due to viral illness or bug which can give such stomach upset but it can also be possible due to food poisoning or gastroenteritis. It appears to me that you all are having bad gastroenteritis. I will suggest to visit your doctor or emergency for evaluation and urgent stool culture, serum electrolytes, full blood count. They will also prescribe you anti-nausea medication and anti-diarrhea medication and may consider antibiotics depending on stool culture results. If it is viral then only anti-nausea medication. I will suggest to drink oral rehydration solution and also take soft diet such as bananas, bread, yougurt for 1-2 days. Avoid spicy or junk food. I will suggest to visit your doctor or emergency urgently for medical attention and treatment.

Let me know If you need any more information. Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you.

Kind regards

Dr. A Javed

Consultant Internal medicine

Ok thank you.
How long will the systpoms last?

You are welcome. Symptoms depends on the cause if it is viral then it can take up to 3 days but if it is food poisoning or gastroenteritis due to bacterial infection or toxin then can take up to 5-7 days with treatment to recover. I will suggest all of you to keep yourseleves well hydrated and eat soft food and again suggest to take oral rehyration solution to balance the electrolytes. It is important to have urgent evaluation and tests as I mentioned above by your physician or in the emergency. Don't forget to rate the answer as we doctors only get credit for our hard work here on higher ratings. All the best.

Kind regards

Dr. A Javed

Consultant Internal medicine