Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I'm really stressed at work at the moment and wondering if…

Customer Question
I'm really stressed at...

I'm really stressed at work at the moment and wondering if this could be having a physical effect on me. I can't stop thinking about work, even on my day off, I haven't been able to sleep despite being constantly exhausted, I wake up with awful diarrhea and am slightly nauseated constantly. These physical symptoms seem to correlate with the highest periods of stress at work.

Doctor's Assistant: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?

Periods are regular, only in slight pain when diarrhea comes on.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
12/30/2017
Doctor: Dr. Amir, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir, Doctor

Thanks for the question and coming here. I would like to say that our body and mind is connected if one is effected the other will be effected too. If you have a stressful day sometimes can get headache stress is converted into a physical symptom similarly in your case because you are very stress at work this is converting into a physical symptom such as diarrhea and nausea and also you are having poor sleep. I will suggest to speak to your manager about your work situation or your occupational therapist at work so they can make adjustments for you at work. Also going to holiday for few weeks will be helpful for you. I will also suggest to ask your physician to refer you for psychology input in the form of talking treatment such as cognitive behavior therapy. In case, if you are feeling depressed or having anxiety medication such as anti-depressant like sertraline or fluoxetine can be very helpful for you. You seems to me burnt out due to work which is affecting now your personal life. I will also suggest to have blood tests just to be on the safer side such as full blood count, thyroid function tests, serum urea and creatinine, serum electroytes, blood sugar levels, lipid profile and stool culture to rule out any medical problem.

Let me know If you need any more information. Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you.

Kind regards

Dr. A Javed

Consultant Internal medicine

Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir, Doctor