Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am taking 5 to 10 ml of codeine guaiffen for chest

Customer Question
I am taking 5...

I am taking 5 to 10 ml of codeine guaiffen for chest congestion/cough. I am going out to dinner tonight after about 6 hours of the last dose. Can I have alcohol, 2-3 glasses of wine?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?

Two-three days. cold, congestion and cough have improved a lot

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am a 75 year old male. In good physical condition. controlled hypertension by metroprol

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/30/2017
Doctor: Dr. Hasan, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am reviewing your question and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. Half life of Coedine is 2.9 hours and that of guaifenesin is 2 hours. So yes you can take alcohol this time but ideally speaking you should avoid this because it can sometime increase the dizziness and drowsiness associated with the drugs you are taking. But after 6 hours of this dosage, yes you can have some wine. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards