Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My 6 month (reached 7 months in a week) only drinks 350-400…

Customer Question
Hi, My 6 month...

Hi, My 6 month (reached 7 months in a week) only drinks 350-400 ml a day

Doctor's Assistant: How have your child's checkups gone? Is your child progressing steadily in height and weight?

Yes, she is gaining weight, but not as much as expected. pediatrician wants her to gain about 15gms each day, but she only gains 5-6 gms a day

Doctor's Assistant: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?

Yes

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in the child's medical history you think the doctor should know?

She has a soft cleft palate, so i cannot breast feed. we are using a special bottle (dr. browns free flow bottle) to feed her

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My baby's birth weight is 1.67 kg. she is a IUGR baby born prematurely at 35 weeks. Shortly after her birth we found out that she has a soft cleft palate. She was in NICU due to feeding issues for a month. she came home with a NG tube which she pulled out after 2 weeks after coming home. She showed significant improvement and she took all her feed from the bottle. when she is 3 months old we made a mistake of force feeding her and she developed feeding aversion. She later got better but since she reached 6 months she is refusing to drink milk. we are not force feeding her anymore but not sure why she suddenly started showing aversion type symptoms again. She is now 4 kg's. She doesn't show interest in solids because of her soft cleft palate and when solids come out of her nose she cries. so we cannot really increase her solids. and our hope is only milk which she is flat out refusing. we are managing to feed her 350-400 ml in 24 hrs by distracting her. How can we increase her calorie/milk intake for her to gain weight.
12/30/2017
Doctor: Dr. K., MD replied 1 month ago
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
What formula are you using? Have you tried a sippy cup?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We are using similar total comfort formula. No we haven’t used a sippy cup because she is not yet sitting unassisted.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We are fortifying breastmilk with similar total comfort forumula
Doctor: Dr. K., MD replied 1 month ago
It may work to change to a different nipple for babies with a cleft. Its not too soon to try a sippy cup if she sits well with support
Dr. K.
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD