Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Yesterday during a routine visit I asked physicians

Customer Question
Hello Dr. yesterday during a...
Hello Dr. yesterday during a routine visit I asked physicians assistant for a 12 lead ekg as I have heard it is a good thing to do. Never had any symptoms, slightly overweight, bp great with 10/propanolol and 10/lisinipril, male 41, no family history. PA came back and said ekg abnormal and asked if I've ever experienced the symptoms of a heart attack? We'll just nearly then I did! I have a copy of my ekg, machine printed "abnormal old anterior i***** *****
41 Male
USA
Elected for an EKG because I am a pilot and needed for medical certificate.
Hypertension that is controlled easily with 10mg propranolol/day 10mg lisinipril/day
117/70 66bpm
No symptoms of chest pain or shortness of breath ever.
I have PDF of the trace.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
PDF
12/30/2017
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

The EKG is correctly identified as showing a pattern that may be due to an old heart attack (the medical term is a myocardial infarction, or infarct). So,the machine and the PA are correctly reading the EKG.

However, the EKG is not great at identifying old heart attacks. In someone with no history of heart problems or symptoms, it is very common that the EKG is wrong. The usual method for determining whether someone with such EKG findings truly had an old myocardial infarction would be getting an echocardiogram. An echocardiogram uses sound waves to generate pictures of the heart, and is far more accurate at determining whether there has been an old myocardial infarction.

You do not say what the PA recommended as the next step, but the usual next step would be an echocardiogram, and the odds are very good that the echocardiogram will be normal.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Is there any further information that would be helpful?