Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have positive intrinsic factor blocking antibody, with the…

Customer Question
I have positive intrinsic...

I have positive intrinsic factor blocking antibody, with the hx of RDW's being their highest at 18 over the last year and half. 8-2015 was anemic, but hg came back up. Researchers have stated that they do not like a RDW above 17. Taking iron, for ferritin-5, had a B12 inj ., and taking 500mgs. vitamin C x's 2/daily. B12 dissolvable=5000mcgs. x's 2/daily. History of Hashimotos. concerned for the eosinophils are 525.

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

No loss of appetite..rash, but thought it was due to showering x's2/day. bit tired, but have a TSH of 0.02

Doctor's Assistant: When was the last time you had your levels checked? Have you noticed any weight loss or weight gain?

Gain...Checked the IF AB on the 28th, prior on the 22nd. However I read up that the IF AB should not be checked when an B12 inj. is given within 2 weeks. But if you have the antibody..YOU just have it.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Low levels of Vitamin D, taking 50,000u every other week. But I do have a bit of a bad memory. Went to the Sleep Dr. due to insomnia, and he is the one that stated he knew it was my ferritin. He ordered the 1rst set of labs.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
First labs for ferritin were on 18. Then given the B12 inj. 2 days later. then tested for IF AB on the23rd., got the results today. Eosinophils high at525. I am aware of my TSH bouncing around over the last year. 9.0 TSH one year ago, and put on 150 mgs. of Synthroid daily and 2 on Wed. and Sunday...Was on 112mgs. daily and 2 on wed. and 2 on Sun. now obviously the Synthroid has been lowered to 150 daily. Otherwise worried about other issues that can block the intrinsic factor. I am aware that Hashimotos can assist in the IF AB. But once an antibodyblocking factor is present..it is present for life like autoimmune diseases. My concern is do I need a MRI or abdominal CT? Or do I need to be seen by a hematologists for checking further with markers on the RBC's? I am my best advocate...I know..
Where is my answer?
12/30/2017
Doctor: Dr Ted Manos, Doctor (MD) replied 6 months ago
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Doctor (MD)
Hello, and thank you for choosing Justanswer about your concern. I’m Dr Ted Manos M.D. and I can respond in a moment.
I just saw your text and I’m wondering if your eosinophil count suggests an intestinal parasite that is effecting your nutrient absorption. A count above 500 is considered eosinophilia. If you have asthma that can cause an increase in eosinophils. The history of thyroid problems can certainly be effecting your labs and physical functioning. An examination of your stool for ova and parasites need to be considered.