Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My wife uses a colostomy bag, and the area where the bag…

My wife uses a...

My wife uses a colostomy bag, and the area where the bag sticks to her skin has gotten a rash. She used Adapt Stoma Powder on the area where the rash showed up, and doesn't know if there was leakage (stool) in that area due to the Stoma Powder stopping the bag from adhering properly to her skin. Wondering how to treat the the rash, while still having to secure the bag to her abdomen.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?

She's had the rash for one week. no changes in skin anywhere else, or nails.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, nothing related to this rash. The rash is more like irritated skin, as it isn't ichy.

12/29/2017
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

This is one of the most frustrating scenarios for the patient and I understand the situation.

The rash is actually cause by skin excoriating which is a result of the acids in the contents of the colostomy dissolving the skin and then infection sets in which makes the rash worse.

I usually ask my patients to trim the adherent part of the bag from where it would come over the rash, secure the area with silicone stoma gel and as for the rash, apply Desitin max strength cream on it twice a day. Whenever the rash gets smeared with colostomy contents, it is advisable to gently run luke warm water over it to dilute the contents and wash them off the skin. Do not rub it dry, let it dry in air or dab it with a soft cotton cloth.

If this continues to get worse then you can get help from a stoma care nurse for this.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
thank you, ***** ***** try that. we do have a call in to my wife's stoma nurse, but have been waiting all day for a return call.

Glad I could help.

Take good care!