Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My son was told that he needs to get a CAT Scan for "swollen…

Customer Question
My son was told...

My son was told that he needs to get a CAT Scan for "swollen lymph nodes" in his chest... what might that mean.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the issue? In general, how has your health been lately?

One year

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No he is 17 year old typically well, but sleeping a lot. He did physcial therapy because the x-rays indicated that is was imflammation between the muscle and scapula. He has back pain in that left scapula area at rest or sitting. Then , when that did not help they did an MRI that showed one of the doctors inflamed lymph nodes in his chest that could be causing the pain, so no more physical therapy. And now the Dr. is ordering a CAT Scan of his chest to get a more accurate picture. What could this mean is the lymph nodes are swollen?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/29/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 3 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

There are many possible reasons (and one of the reason can be non specific lymph node enlargement which may be not due to disease and which resolves on its own), as following;

1) Epstein-Barr virus,

2) cytomegalovirus

3) megaloblastic anemia

4) histoplasmosis,

5) tuberculosis

5) hyperthyroidism

6) sarcoidosis,

7) amyloidosis

8) lymphoma

9) leukemia.

Patients with a benign clinical history, an unremarkable physical examination and no constitutional symptoms (like fever, weight loss, loss of appetite, malaise) would be reexamined in four to six weeks to see if the lymph nodes have regressed or disappeared. Many times lymph node disappear spontaneously.

Biopsy or aspiration biopsy cytology (ABC) would be considered in patients with;

a) unexplained localized lymphadenopathy who have constitutional symptoms or signs,

b) risk factors for malignancy or

c) lymphadenopathy that persists for more than 6 weeks.

Biopsy should be avoided in patients with probable viral illness because lymph node pathology in these patients may sometimes mimic lymphoma under the microscope and lead to a false-positive diagnosis of malignancy.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor