Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I live in Kingston Ontario. I have had a stomach bug since…

Customer Question
I live in Kingston...

I live in Kingston Ontario. I have had a stomach bug since Dec 14th throwing up a few timrs a day except for 3. Yesterday i woke up with severe pain in my right rib cage up to my shoulder and neck. I have been reluctant to go to a hospital ER during the holidays. Is it time I went now, or try for an after hours clinic tonight at my Dr office?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the neck pain? Are you experiencing any numbness or tingling?

Neck pain on and off since yesterday at 7 am. I don't really have any painkillers to take

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No neverchad anything last this long. On a separate note I have a nasty cough on and off, but anything comes up it is minimal and clear

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/29/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 3 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What is your age and gender?

Do you have shortness of breath, tenderness on chest wall, persistent nausea, numbness in arm, hand?

Are you neck and shoulder movements painful?

Have you taken any medicine?

No numbness breaths are shallow because the rib cage hurts when I breathe. The movements were painful yesterday, and it was difficult to get comfortable sleeping but I eventually figured that out. Nausea and vomiting off and on since Dec 15. The only meds I have taken is Pepto Bismol for stomach issues. I just didn't want to go to emerg of a hospital over the holidays

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

No I don't want a call

Apologies for any intrusion of those automatic offers for phone calls. These are produced by the website automatically and outside of my control.

I understand.
I am female 62

Your symptoms can be due to;

1) Pleurisy

2) Polychondritis

3) Pinched nerves in neck.

You need a Chest x-ray and x-ray of the neck.

This may not be due to heart. But usually EKG is done for any moderate to severe chest pain to categorically rule out heart issue.

In your age group, it is recommended to go to emergency room. I can understand your reluctance in the Holiday season. But you should not wait till evening and any moderate to severe pain chest pain warrant an immediate evaluation.

You may take Tylenol meanwhile.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Thank you.

You are very welcome.

It is privilege assisting you. Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating. The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl Merry Christmas.

Just Answer is based on honor system. Experts are paid for time and expertise only when a positive rating is received.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/

Stay blessed.

Happy new year 2018.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor