Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was just diagnosed with HIV type 6. I live in South Korea…

Customer Question
I was just diagnosed...

I was just diagnosed with HIV type 6

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I live in South Korea My doctor is an asshole. I need to speak with someone immediately. I'm so upset. I'm an American expat abroad.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/29/2017
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

I'm sorry your doctor is not being helpful.

How can I help?

Will I get genital warts?

From HIV? No you will not

you can also have HPV though

are you male or female?

I don’t have HIV. I have HPV. I’m female
This was the email I got.
Please explain these to me.

Ok

In your initial post you said HIV

It must have been a typo on my MacBook.

Ok no worries

How old are you?

I’m 27 years old
I had unprotected sex with a guy I met online and we were seeing each other awhile and then he blocked me off everything without explanation. I was scared and suspicious so I went to take an STI test and the results came back positive for HPV

Ok.

In the US, we don't even do HPV between the ages of 20 and 30. It is not recommended by ACOG (American college of OBGYN)

The reason why is many women clear the virus on their own

So you may clear it on your own.

there is a risk of genital warts if you don't. yes

I'm very sorry about this diagnosis.

Is my information helpfuL?

I ended things with my ex boyfriend earlier this year but he hadn’t had a recent STI test before me. I don’t know if he gave it to me or this other guy did.

hard to say for sure

unless either one had genital warts we would have no way of knowing

How do I know how long I’ve had the virus?
Is there a way to test it?

There is no way to tell how long

if I don’t clear this in 2 years I’ll get genital warts?

No. I didn't say that.

There is a risk of warts.

Not everyone with HPV gets them

How high is my chance?

30%

Is there anything I can do?

No there is nothing. I'm sorry

I have to live with this and pray that I don’t get warts?
does this mean I can’t have sex? What should I do?
Should my partner wear a condom? Is it easily transmitted?

Okay I'm back

sorry I was offline

1)yes, you have to just hope.

2)No you can have sex but protection should be used until you have another pap that confirms it is cleared

Can you explain the other complications of my health test?

what do you mean?

Family Physician, Doctor