Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I'm a 70 yr old male. I've been doing 2 to 3 hours of

Customer Question
I'm a 70...

I'm a 70 yr old male. I've been doing 2 to 3 hours of workouts (hot yoga and hiking) daily. Just dropped 35 lbs through medical weight loss program at Kaiser. I'm troubled by chronic muscle cramps in hands and feet. Often dozens at a time. Some times my calves are jumping around for hours.

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

Usually following exercise.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I take stations. Low dose.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
12/29/2017
Doctor: Dr Josh, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Hello!

My name is***** to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily. Thank you for your patience.

Thanks

Dear,

Well, There are different medical conditions for such symptoms, Possible causes are-

-Imbalance of electrolyte levels in body,
-Thyroid disorder- Hypothyroidism,
-Peripheral artery disease,
-Kidney disease,
-Diabetes.

To make a diagnose, you need to undergo few tests which includes-
Complete blood count, Blood sugar test, Thyroid hormone test, Kidney function test.

Also sodium, potassium, and calcium levels in blood should be checked.

A thorough clinical evaluation and tests are necessary for precise diagnosis.

You should use a cold pack to relax leg muscle.

After this use a warm towel or heating pad later if you have pain or tenderness, you can take a hot bath.
Also massaging the affected muscle would help you.
You should gently stretch your leg and move your foot towards your knee, until you feel the calf muscles stretch.This will relax your leg muscles.
Also you should formulate an exercise routine and ensure that you build on it gradually.You should avoid alcohol, coffee,tobacco.

Take healthy and well balanced diet. You can start with a multi-vitamin supplement.

There is some underlying cause, and it would be diagnosed by tests.

Please see your primary doctor and get it further evaluated.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

May i help you further?

Do you need more help?

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dr Josh
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor