Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I need information on the affect of anesthesia on

Customer Question
I need information on...

I need information on the affect of anesthesia on derealization

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No haven't seen dr..taking diazepam 5mg daily

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Going in for lumpectomy and will be given the same anesthesia that they give for colonoscopy

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
12/29/2017
Doctor: Dr Ted Manos, Doctor (MD) replied 1 month ago
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Doctor (MD)
Hi, and thanks for choosing Justanswer about your concern. I’m Dr Ted Manos M.D., obgyn and many years of studying human behavior and addresses what runs who we are being. I can comment in a moment.
You have DPD also termed
Also termed derealization disorder. Will continue shortly.
The type of anesthesia that will be used doesn’t put you out but you are awake and communicating but have no memory of the experience. You are amnesic for the time the medication is acting. You should make sure the anesthesiologist knows of your problem and can see how you are in this state of true dissociation. Will your awareness of you surroundings be different during the procedure. Hopefully, you may have a different perception of your being after the procedure. The degree of DPD you have is rare but many people describe transient episodes of being “out of body” or something comparable. There are things we know, we know. We also know what we don’t know. I know I can’t fly a plane. However, there is a large area of being that we don’t know about, and we don’t know we don’t know. Somewhere in your past, you decided that there was something not real about you and your world. It’s know different with someone who decided they were unloved. Something happened as early as age four or five that that early brain saw. The perception was not reality as it was made up to explain experiences. There is a school of thought that life is meaningless, and it’s meaningless that it’s meaningless. The meaning that we placed on ourselves was made up and life is about clearing up those misconceptions. DPD is really an example where some people don’t feel comfortable with the reality they made up. True knowledge is living through the misconceptions of youth and seeing who we truly are. I believe that is why there are so many late-bloomers. Again, the anesthesia will not cause anything but some amnesia for the procedure itself.
It’s after midnight where I’m st, and I’m going to sleep. I can continue in the morning addressing your question.
Good morning. I reread my comments which came from my late hour mind. Are you satisfied with my answer that you shouldn’t worry about the anesthesia?
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Doctor (MD)