Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been having some rather severe chest pain. My

Customer Question
I have been having...

I have been having some rather severe chest pain. My cardiologist says that the pain in not from my heart. I also have costochondritis. I am not able to tell the difference in the pain. Would a work up from Mayo clinic be helpful?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you ever dealt with this before? Are you having any shortness of breath?

Yes I have been dealing with it for a couple of years now. Yes, I do have shortness of breath when I have exertion.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am diabetic.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
12/28/2017
Doctor: Dr.Saleem, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Helllo I am Dr Saleem I will be answering you very shortly ..Can you describe your pain a bit more please ? Is it dull, sharp , throbbing or shooting in nature ? Where exactly do you feel it? Does it radiate anywhere ? Constant or intermittent? Any aggravating or relieving factors ? Any tests done ?Your age and gender please
Pain is like a stabbing pain. That leads to a lot of pressure. Sometime this last all day. I have had an angiogram done with negative results
I feel very tired and weak. The pain is in the middle of my chest. I visit a pain management clinic for injections. It gives me relief for a short time.

Well it could be your costochondritis esp with relief on analgesic injections. Have you had a thalium test or stress / exercise tolerance test (ETT) ?

I have one scheduled again for next week

Well typical cardiac pain is usually gripping central or left sided which tends to radiate towards left arm or neck / jaws , worsens with exertion / activity and relieved with rest or nitrates . So if you think the presentation fits in this type of pain then it merits evaluation with a stress or exercise test. If thats clear too then its unlikely to be your heart and could be musculoskeletal or gastrointestinal in nature .

Hope it answers your query

Let me know if you have any more queries.

Pease reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating corner of your page if you are satisfied.

Wishing you a healthy life.

Regards.