Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am 90yrs. oldand have recently lost my sense of taste. The…

Customer Question
I am 90yrs. oldand...

I am 90yrs. oldand have recently lost my sense of taste. The only prscribed

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Medication I take is SYNTHROID. What is my problem?

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Only he SYNTHROID. No allergic problems.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. I see my Dr. on a regular check-up basis and all is fine.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/28/2017
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

The loss or alteration of sense of taste is a common occurrence especially in elderly population and there could be many reasons for this.

Common causes for loss of taste include allergies/cold/flu, cigarette smoking, use of various drugs, vitamin B-12 and Zinc deficiency, nasal polyps, neuropathy (like in diabetes) and it can also be a part of normal aging process due to loss of taste buds.

Most of these need to be evaluated in detail and a clinical examination aided by various tests in mandatory to look for a possible pathology in the upper respiratory tract, which might possibly be the cause for these symptoms.

Right now, if you smoke, then you should start trying to quit it.

Vitamin B-12 and Zinc supplements might be helpful (it is the common cause in elderly for taste loss)

Finally, if despite all the measures, the symptoms do not settle or improve, a detailed re-evaluation by your ENT will be required including imaging studies like CT scan of the sinuses to rule out any pathology.

Was it helpful?

Please do not forget to give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.