Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I've had stomach problems for awhile now, I've been taking…

Customer Question
I've had stomach problems...

I've had stomach problems for awhile now, I've been taking Zantac for a long time now when I take a dose I get a large amount of blood during and a lot after a bowel movement.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Other than Zantac none

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I was incarcerated for a long time I have been out for 18 months I haven't seen a real doctor in a long time.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/28/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 6 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Do you have heartburn, diarrhea/constipation, nausea, vomiting, fever, loss of appetite, bloating, gas, tenderness on abdomen?

What is your age?

I'm 54 yrs old I get bloating and heart burn bad after I eat, I've stopped the Zantac now I take Tums lots of them

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

A prolonged bleeding from rectum needs investigations and a physical examination by either a gastroenterologist or a surgeon. The common causes can be;

1) Hemorrhoids or piles

2) Anal fissure

3) Polyp rectum

4) Diverticulitis

5) Inflammatory bowel disease like crohn's disease

6) Growth in rectum or colon

Investigations needed to establish the cause are;

1) Proctoscopy

2) Colonoscopy

3) Barium enema

4) CT scan

Read this resource;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/rectal-bleeding/DG00015

Bloating and heartburn can be due to;

Hiatal hernia

Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)

Gallbladder stone.

Following treatment may help you;

1) antacids; Maalox

2) acid blocker; Prilosec

3) loosing weight, if overweight.

4) avoiding alcohol, citrus fruits and juices, chocolate, and tomato based products

5) avoiding large meals. Eat 5 small meals in a day.

6) wait three hours after the meal before you sleep.

7) elevate head end of the bed by 8 inches.

Following also would be helpful;
Nutrition and supplements;

1) Multivitamin; vitamins A, C, E, the B vitamins, and trace minerals, such as magnesium, calcium, zinc, and selenium.
2) Probiotic supplement
3) Omega 3 fatty acid
4) Avoid; cookies, crackers, cakes, French fries, onion rings, donuts, processed foods, and margarine.

5) Also avoid; white breads, pastas, and especially sugar, red meats,
6) Eat lean meats, cold water fish, tofu, beans, olive oil

Helpful investigations to establish and confirm the diagnosis are;

1) Esophageal manometry; evaluates esophageal motor pattern.
2) Esophagram / Barium swallow
3) Ambulatory esophageal manometry
4) CT scan of the chest.

5) Upper GI endoscopy.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Thank you.

You are very welcome.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl