Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

If a person had mononucleosis two months ago, can a test of…

Customer Question
If a person had...

If a person had mononucleosis two months ago, can a test of his blood two months later, still prove that he had the disease?

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

A blood test, Yes it is a time issue

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Just that the symptoms are very similar - complete exhaustion, Rash on arms & loss of appetite

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/28/2017
Doctor: Dr.Saleem, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Yes heterophil antibody test can detect mononucleosis if 2 months have passed.

A titer of less than 1:10 means that you have never been exposed to EBV. If no IgM against EBV is present then you have no active infection at present. If IgG is present,it may mean that you have been exposed toEBV in the past.

So basically the titers and type of antibody both help decide whether you have an active infection or had an infection in the past.

hope it answered your query.

Let me know if you have any more queries.

Pease reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating corner of your page if you are satisfied.

Wishing you a healthy life.

Regards.