Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Back pain on and off for 1 month. Got severe last nite 3 in…

Customer Question
Back pain on and...

Back pain on and off for 1 month. Got severe last nite 3 in morning. Went to walk in around 22 today gave me shot of steroids and prescription to start in am prescription isMethylprednisolone cannot start this until am Have had no relief from shot lower right pevlvic is in terrible terrible spasms. Any suggestions for relief. Terrible ain

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Not allergic to any medication take daily pravastation, bupropion, nifedipine, topral zanax

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Have had DVTl last January

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
12/28/2017
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

There are a few options that are available over the counter to try to help with back pain. You can take an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as naproxen. It also would be fine to also take acetaminophen. The acetaminophen does not have any anti-inflammatory action, but the mechanism of pain relief is different than the naproxen, so the combination may work when either drug alone is not effective. It would be fine to take the methylprednisolone with the naproxen and acetaminophen.

It also may help to apply local care, including moist heat, ice, and massage. You also can combine these by using ice to massage the area of spasm. The easiest way to do this is to freeze water in paper or styrofoam cups, and then tear an inch or so of the cup from the edge to expose the ice and still have the base of the cup to hold and apply the exposed ice to the area of spasm.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.