Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I muscle heroin and recently I was using the short needles.

Customer Question
Hi, I muscle heroin...

Hi, I muscle heroin and recently I was using the short needles. I shot in the same areas that Im used to using (rotating muscles0 but all the 3 shot I shot needled with have caused these hard knots. It's been 10 days and they r still there. Dont hurt and I try to massage them to increase blood flow but they are not going away.

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

Good

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Ive mainlined in my youth. Don't really have any veins left that I can easily hit

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
everything I used was sterile to the best of my ability. new syringes, alcohol, cotton, etc. Same heroin too.
12/27/2017
Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Such knots are common after an intramuscular injection and occurs due to inflammation around the injectate and they can take up to 3 to 4 weeks to dissolve completely. All you have to do is massage the area with olive oil thrice a day, more you massage, earlier they will disappear. There is nothing much to worry about and try to avoid same muscle for some days.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

My concern is that because I used a short needle the shot didn't reach my muscle but got stuck just beneath the skin. Would that be a possibility?

Yes, that is a possibility and depends on the thickness of the subcutaneous fat and thickness of the skin as well as the length of the needle.

Subcutaneous accumulation of an injectable is more readily resorbed than intramuscular injections.

However, if they have not gone away in more than a weeks time, then they might have organized or solidified, which can take a longer time, sometimes up to 3 months. Sometimes, they form granulomas which have to be excised surgically.