Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a sore in front of my ear just under the hairline…

Customer Question
I have a sore...

I have a sore in front of my ear just under the hairline that scabs over but never heals. it iches. Can you tell me what it might be and how to treat it?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Its a sore, very little pain, mostly itching.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/27/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 7 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

how old are you?

can you upload a clear jpg photo of this sore so I can better help you?

do you see the add file link?

I am 84. Not possible to get pic of sore. It seems to be a deep sore and scab is dark red. It is about 1/4 inch size. Skin around sore, under hairline appears as angry reddish color

I see

have you had a lot of sun exposure in your youth? prior sun burns?

it could be a skin cancer

have you had skin cancers before?

Never had skin cancer. I have seen skin cancer on several people and this sore does not look like that.
I have been teated recently for hypothyroidism and I have been self medicating for candida which did heal with another facial sore by my nose.

I see

it would be an unusual spot for a skin fungal infection.

it could be a skin bacterial infection or fungal

you should see a doctor and get a skin culture

you may need antifungal creams like clotrimazole 1% on the area 3-4 times a day for 4-6 weeks

or an antibacterial cream on the area like bactroban for a few weeks if a bacterial infection.

you may need a course of oral antibiotics as well

Thank you for your help. Bye

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com