Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

If a 92 year old female, relatively healthy for her

Customer Question
If a 92 year...

If a 92 year old female, relatively healthy for her age--only on lisinopril for hypertension and synthroid--presents with productive cough....is it reasonable standard of care to obtain a chest X-ray? Her family doc put her on Terbutaline and wants to see her in 6 weeks! I don't think this is standard of care.

Doctor's Assistant: When was last time you had a check up? Is there a history of high blood pressure in your family?

Her cough has been there for the past 10 days

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

She is up to date on all vaccines, including pneumonia vacs

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
12/27/2017
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

One of the indications for Chest X-ray is evaluation of cough and chest symptoms.

What are your concerns about having a chest Xray?

Though she is update for the vaccines, it doesn't mean she can not have a chest infection.

A chest X-ray can reliably differentiate between pneumonia and a simple viral bronchitis, and hence will direct the need of using antibiotics or not.

Off course there are other parameters also which can tell if she has bacterial infection or not like high White cell count, but many a times these kind of tests are not confirmatory in elderly due to their poor immunity.

Therefore, yes, for a cough which has been persistent for over a week, in an elderly patient, chest x-ray is required.

Was that helpful?

Please do not forget to give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor