Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

How do I control kidney disease. Stage 3. I have seen a

Customer Question
How do I control...

How do I control kidney disease. Stage 3

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I have seen a doctor. No meds

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I am not allergic. I take:40 mg pravastatin, 20mg Lisinopril, twice a day, 50mg metoprolol, twice a day, 5mg amlodipine once a day, .5mg alprazolam at bed time.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Mini stroke 3 weeks ago

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/27/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 3 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What is your age?

Apart from blood pressure, do you have diabetes?

Is your blood pressure controlled?

My age is 72. No diabetes. Blood pressure seems controlled, but has a tendency to spike on occasion.

Just a meticulous control of blood pressure will prevent further deterioration of the kidney disease.

Following measures will prevent the spikes;

a) Patients with the hypertension do need to restrict table salt which is considered as a prime regulator of the blood pressure. It is advised to reduce sodium intake to no more than 2.4 g sodium or 6 g sodium chloride per day. It is also advised that adequate intake of dietary potassium (approximately 90 mmol/d), helps in reducing the blood pressure.

b) Following dietary and nutrition measure are strongly recommended to bring down the blood pressure;

A diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and low-fat dairy products may lower blood pressure by 10-16 mm Hg.
Oral potassium supplement may lower both systolic and diastolic pressure. Calcium and magnesium supplements, too, decrease the in blood pressure.
Low alcohol consumption lowers the blood pressure.
Stop smoking, if you do and reducing intake of dietary saturated fat and cholesterol benefits tremendously in overall cardiovascular health.
Following reduce and regulate the blood pressure:

1) Garlic

2) Fish oil

3) Herb Hawthorn

4) Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10)

You may also try following;

Cordyceps (Cordyceps sinensis), a fungus found growing in caterpillar larvae of certain moths, has long been valued as a kidney tonic in China. One study in with lupus nephritis showed that a combination of cordyceps powder together with artemisinin from the plant Artemisia annua for 3 years improved kidney function as measured by creatinine clearance. Another study found that cordyceps lessened the nephrotoxicity of cyclosporine in kidney transplant patients. An anti-oxidant protective mechanism is responsible for this protective effect. See the references;

Zhu, J.S., Halpern,G.M., & Jones, K. (1998). The scientific rediscovery of an ancient Chinese herbal medicine: Cordyceps sinensis: Part I. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, 4, 289-303.

Lu, L. (2002). Study on the effect of cordyceps sinensis and artemisinin in preventing recurrence of lupus nephritis. Chinese Journal of Integrated Traditional and Western Medicine, 22, 169-171.

Xu, F., Huang, J.B., Jiang, L., Xu, J., & Mi, J. (1995). Amelioration of cyclosporine nephrotoxicity by Cordyceps sinensis in kidney-transplanted recipients. Nephrology, Dialysis, Transplantation, 10(1), 142-143.

Astragalus (Astragalus membranaceus), a popular herb used in Chinese traditional medicine, can be used as nephroprotective or kidney protective. Several clinical studies had showed benefits. Please see the reference resource;

Shi, J.F., Zhu, H.W. Zhang, C., et al. (2002). Therapeutic effect of astragalus on patients with chronic glomerulonephritis. Acta Medicinalis Secondae Shanghai, 22, 245-248.

Another useful nephro-protective medicinal herb popular in Ayurvedic medicine is picroliv (Picrorhiza kurrooa).

Milk thistle (Silybum marianum, which you also mentioned) seeds containing several potent antioxidant flavonolignans collectively called silymarin have both liver and kidney protective effects. Please see the reference;

Combest, W.L. (1998, October). Milk thistle. US Pharmacist, 86-94.

These above products would be available at health stores.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions. It is privilege assisting you. Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating. The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor