Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Is there a tapering symptom t get of clonidine without

Customer Question
Is there a tapering...

Is there a tapering symptom t get of clonidine without withdraw

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Just questions about medications

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I take metformin

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/26/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 7 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

how old are you?

clonidine is used for high blood pressure and cancer pain and tourettes syndrome

why are you taking it?

why do you want to come off of it?

what withdraw symptoms are you having?

I am taking it for blood pressure and it has stablized and time to remove it from my daily pills. I am 56
I am taking it for blood pressure and it has stabilized and time to remove it from my daily pills. I am 56. Hello

I see

I'm glad your blood pressure has stabilized.

how much of a dose are you taking daily?

0.1mg ? 0.3mg? once a day, twice a day?

what withdraw symptoms are you having?

125 divide twicw a day. I tried to stop cold turkey I have resumed my dose but still feel anxiety restless ness and insomnia
125 divide twice a day. I tried to stop cold turkey I have resumed my dose but still feel anxiety restlessness and insomnia.
hello are you there I am having trouble with this chat and I am beginning to get nervous about it.
Hello, anyone there?

I see.

if you have been on clonidine for a long time, you may need a longer, slower tapering schedule.

if you have bad anxiety symptoms, you may need to talk to your doctor about treatment for bad anxiety symptoms.

you may need to try taking 0.125mg 1/2 a pill once a day for 4-6 weeks before going to a lower dose.

Could you give an example
Could you give an example It is my understanding that if tapering is done properly tapering off Clonidine is painless. Is that correct?

I would take 0.125mg 1/2 a pill once a day for 4 weeks and then stopping the pill

tapering off of clonidine is painless

your anxiety symptoms may not be coming from tapering off of clonidine

if you have bad anxiety symptoms, you should talk to your doctor about medications to help decrease your anxiety symptoms.

do you have other questions?

It is my understanding that if tapering off clonidine is done correctly there is no withdraw. Is that usually true?
Thank you for your answer. I feel better now.

yes, that is true.

if it is done slowly,there is no wwithdraw symptoms

I'm glad you feel better

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com