Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been allergic all my life, have numerous allergies…

Customer Question
I have been allergic all...
I have been allergic all my life, have numerous allergies like Polen, Wheat (when i eat it), cat hair, etc. etc.I am 1.72m, 65 kg, 7% bf otherwise very healthy, sporty person, who does not drink alcohol or smoke, i eat mostly fresh cooked food, which all helps to keep my allergy in check.I had an accident with my bicycle and got desinfected with Octenidin dihydrochlorid on site and then later in hospital with Povidon-Iod.This caused a major allergic rection, where i got a red flush all over my body and my blood pressure was all over the place.I got prescribed 25 mg of cortisone / day for 2 weeks.After the first 25 mg dosage the rashes cleared up and all was fine.A few weeks later my hands suddenly went hot and i got some kind of rash on my hands.
A later got this also on the back of my head and in other places.I also got heatburn in my stomach suddenly at the same times my hands where getting hot.I am now very sensitive to heat and always get those hot hands as soon as i start sweating a bit.I also have a itching sentation all over my body and get some redness with it.When i tried to go on with my regular exercise, I was immediately getting VERY itchy all over the place. Especially on spots where i have hair or get sweaty.I cant keep up my regular excercise regimen anymore and its also hard to concenrate at work when i am itching all over the place.It seems like my immunesystem has gone completely haywire, since the allergic reactin which i had.Interresstingly, when i eat a lot of sugary foods, it seems to calm down a bit.
Otherwise VERY cold showers seem to help a bit.
And using the cortisone does help a bit .. but not as much as you would expect.Can anybody at least tell me what this kind of issue is called?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
12/26/2017
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Hi do you still need help?

If you have an theory on my symptoms, I would be glad.

what have you tried medication wise?

I mentionied already in my 1st Post.
I tried to use cortisone 25 mg / day.
Cortisone cream.It seemed to to lessen the condition a bit, but not relieve it.I have this condition for 3-4 months now.

No I mean oral meds

like anti histamines

I also mentioned that i used 20mg Cetrizine (Antihistamine) per day.
I raised the dosage up to 60 mg per day.
But there was no difference in symtoms.

have you seen an allergist for testing yet?

just click send to reply

I have recently seen an allergist, he did make a blood allergy panel.
He detected several IgE Allergies to different kinds of food.
All of them where there before and i have already been avoiding them for the last 8 years.I did also get a Prick test for Environmental Allergies, some of then I cannot avoid like Pollen or Dust.Lately I saw that the flare up and itching is directly correlated with body temperature and sweat.
As soon as I do a hot shower, i will be itching all over again. Even if I only do shower with water.
The most itchy spots are on the back of my head, and on my palms.

You could have heat induced urticaria

that is a syndrome of mast cell degeneration related to heat

Is there a way to get a diagnosis for this?

Yes, you can see an allergist for heat testing