Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My wife just had a c section and the site got infected so…

Customer Question
My wife just had...

My wife just had a c section and the site got infected so she had to have it drained. They then put gauze in her with iodine. She is breast feeding is this safe to breastfeed?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Yes one doctor said it was ok but another one who was changing my dressing said it's not and put saline in it instead of what was ordered

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No other issues I'm aware of except I am taking medication that is cefazolin through IV at home

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

No know allergies

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
12/25/2017
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 7 months ago

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

There would be no problem with her breastfeeding with the iodine packing

There would be very little of the iodine that would be absorbed into her system and it wouldn't get into the breast milk anyway

Please let me know if you need any more information